Last Updated on
Your pup makes it no secret that he craves to taste everything that is out there in the kitchen, including sugary things and candies. And as soon as you appear with that massive pack of marshmallows and about to settle some into a cup of hot cocoa your dog is nearby, anticipating you drop something delicious to munch.
Probably guide by the power of pup’s intentions you drop that marshmallow, and he gurgles it up. Or you figure that you can’t resist those adorable, giant eyes and slide her the smallest of marshmallow bits.
But can dogs have marshmallows?
The answer is no. Though not all of those sweets are necessarily toxic to your pup, they indeed aren’t great for your canine diet. Marshmallows, in most cases, are made of four ingredients: water, air, sugar, and some whipping agent/aerator (usually a protein from egg whites or gelatin, produced of collagen). The whipping agent and kind of sugar are vary depending on wanted characteristics. Every marshmallow producer has its unique formula for the ‘perfect’ marshmallow.
MORE FROM THE WEB YOU MAY LIKE
So yes, the ingredients list is not very appealing ingredients. But further than that marshmallows’ nutritional value is tiny. Apart from being high on calories, which is hardly an advantage.
Dr. Carly Fox, a staff doctor at New York City’s Animal Medical Center, thinks if the marshmallow also contains xylitol (an artificial sugar) it’s even worth, and making the sweet absolutely toxic to your canine and even can be extremely dangerous, even when consumed in tiny quantities. “Xylitol can cause dangerously low blood sugar, leading to seizures and even death if the dog is not treated properly,” says Dr. Fox. “It has also been shown to be toxic to the liver, even days after ingestion.”
And to give things more perspective: as few as two sticks of chewing gum with Xylitol is enough to kill a small dog in less than an hour. And Xylitol survivals are at risk of liver damage.
Will marshmallows hurt my dog?
Even marshmallows without xylitol can cause the gastrointestinal upset. Your pup would possibly display the following signs: lack of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. If those will last for more than two days, your dog might be at risk for pancreatitis.
Marshmallows also high in sugars and calories and are especially deadly for any dog with weight problems or suffering from diabetes. Even if your pup is well, serving him sugary treats can add up to obesity, which can be a massive step on the road toward various health conditions including diabetes due to insulin resistance.
You don’t want your canine gaining weight only because of the desire to treat him with marshmallow. And why would you serve him something with no nutritional value anyways? Especially when there are so many healthy options out there.
What to do if my dog ate marshmallows?
If you assume that your pup ate many marshmallows, watch the reactions, such as vomiting and diarrhea.
And if any those happens, call your vet promptly. The doctor will most likely prefer to cause more vomiting to prevent continued gastrointestinal upset and eliminate the risk of pancreatitis.
Dog and marshmallows. Summary
Serving your pup treats that are high in sugar is not a brilliant idea, to put it politely. Even though these feasts might not be dangerous at the moment, that will change over time. Ideally, sweets like marshmallows have to be avoided. Alternatively, opt for healthier human bites like green veggies, carrots, blueberries, etc., those have a way better nutritional benefits for your dog. And maybe your pup will find it delicious after all.
Credits: thanks for the cover photo to Rawpixel.com.
Disclosure: some of the links in this text are affiliate links, meaning that doghint.com will receive a small commission if you make a purchase clicking through those links. The funds will be used to create more guides and content like this one. We are deliberately trying to make as much research as possible and create as much value and reading convenience for you. So, we hope it’s OK.